Life Goals and other Random Nonsense: Martin Luther King Day of Service

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Martin Luther King Day of Service

MLK Day of Service is one of my favorite holidays.

Back when I worked at City Year New Hampshire I helped organized a March of Justice and Volunteer Fair, and it's great to see they are both still going strong after 8 years!

This MLK day, I wasn't out marching or volunteering, I was on a plane flying back from St. Louis where we were celebrating Grandpa's 90th birthday. But in honor of MLK day, I did some e-advocacy this year:
  1. Helped enable and encourage employees to volunteer at work
  2. Set up a Facebook "Cause" to Support Young Heroes (City Year's Middle School Service Learning Program) that now has over 200 members.
  3. Created this Wordle from a portion of the 'I Have a Dream' speech to share with you:


Next year I am hoping to be out doing some more traditional service (e.g. painting a mural) and for inspiration, here's one of the best murals I have seen in a long time, by Dan of dstrbo.com:



I love the colors and detail and I have had this image set as my desktop background for about a month now. I like to think of it as MLK reminding me to get out there and do something that matters!

No comments: