Life Goals and other Random Nonsense: Tai Chi + Running = Chi Running

Monday, January 22, 2007

Tai Chi + Running = Chi Running



For Chanukah my parents got me the book Chi Running by Danny Dreyer. I am only a few chapters into it so far, but it is really helping me think more about how I run.

Chi Running is basically the combination of running with Tai Chi (the Chinese Martial Art often described as "moving meditation").

I have been trying to apply some of the techniques to my last few runs, and so far it does feel a lot better. I always used to think that if it was a really good run, I would be totally exhausted at the end. This book talks about ways to run that actually make you feel more refreshed, erergized and relaxed at the end than you were at the beginning!

He highlights so many things to focus on while running that I never really spent much time thinking about before: breath, posture, cadence, stride length, and the ideal arm angles and movements - just to name a few.

And the theory is that by focusing on all of these, rather than just letting your mind wander, you actually end up feeling more relaxed and refreshed.

So far, I think he is on to something.


No comments: